Friday, June 19, 2009

Confessions of a Desparate Housewife

My mom says that my blog is boring because I don't update it enough. I really am just busy and I don't really know what to write about most days and that is why it goes so long between posts. So in an attempt to liven things up a bit I have decided to come clean with a few confessions.

1. I hate doing the dishes. I would rather have them overflow the sink and encroach on the counter before I load the dishwasher. Because I wait until they are in such a state I will often complain about being the only one to do dishes. So John will try to help me and load the dishwasher. I admit that it does empty the sink. However, he doesn't know how to load the dishwasher according to my standards and it irks me to the point where I have considered doing the dishes every day just to avoid having to unload the weird and bizarre and totally inefficient way he loads the dishwasher. I realize some of you housewives out there don't even have the luxury of a dishwasher so I apologize if my rant seems petty.

2. Another dishes confession. Once when we lived in my in-laws basement they went out of town ( I think they were on a cruise in Alaska or maybe out to visit their daughter in California). My sink was overflowing and we didn't have a dishwasher in our basement apartment. So I used a laundry basket to haul my dirty dishes up stairs to use their dishwasher. However, I couldn't find the detergent so I put in a little dawn. There was water and bubbles everywhere to the point where the dishwasher overflowed and actually started leaking through their floor and our ceiling. I have never told anyone about that before.

3. If I don't have anywhere to go I seldom get dressed. You know you have been in your pajamas too long when your children notice you put on a your bra and ask, "where are we going today mom?"

4. I have had my children wear dirty socks to school because I did not do their laundry.

5. I have done every one's laundry but my own and worn the same outfit more than once before finally getting desperate and doing laundry.

6. I cleaned the bathroom the other day and realized it had been over two months since the toilet was scrubbed. I know, it's disgusting. I guess I have a high tolerance for disgusting.

7. I have lied to my children to get out of buying them a toy/taking them to the park/taking them to the pool. Sometimes I just don't want to do anything.

8. I have stayed up all night long to read a book when I should have gone to bed.

9. I have passed gas in a crowded room and blamed it on a "stinky diaper".

10. I have used a "stinky diaper" excuse to get out of having to make conversation with people at church and other social events.

I could continue, but I won't. The point is that we are all imperfect. Me most of all. That there are more important things to do in life than the dishes, or updating a blog. That even though I sometimes don't want to do anything I will always put the welfare of my children before my own. That for all my griping and complaining about my husband I still love him and value our relationship. We may not always communicate the best and we may not always get along, but I know that he loves me too. So I guess it doesn't matter how he does the dishes after all. The point, is at least he does them.

No comments: