Thursday, June 25, 2009

I is for Isaac

For the past few weeks Isaac has been telling me that he is writing a chapter book. He spends hours and hours in his room working on this book. I started to look through it on Sunday since he brought it to work on in Sacrament meeting instead of a coloring book or another quiet activity.

It isn't really a chapter book, more like an ABC book. He is taking the letters of the alphabet and writing them out kind of like the Dr. Seuss ABC book with the "Big A little a what begins with a" and then writing out the name of his monster that he has created. Then he will list the stats of what that monster can do, kind of like Pokemon. Underneath all of this is a picture of the monster.

He was on the letter J the last time I looked. Right now it is in a composition book that he had left over at the end of the school year. I told him that when it was finished I would type it out, he could draw the picture again underneath the typing and we would try to self publish it. I know there are some contests in Missouri for young writers, perhaps we will enter it in a contest.

It reminds me of the time when I was in the third grade and I wrote a story about a bear. It won the contest that my elementary school put on. I also wrote a very special book when I was in eighth grade called Ante with an e. It was for my dad. When we were little he would come in and tell us bedtime stories about Ante and all his adventures (he was an ant by the way). Once Ante took a ride on a football during the Superbowl. Another time he was trapped in the popcorn machine at the movie theater. My dad still has his book.

I hope that Isaac enjoys his writing and pursues it throughout his life. I know that I am proud of him.

No comments: