Monday, December 1, 2008

Didn't we just carve pumpkins?

It seems like no matter how much we try to slow down and enjoy things, time has a way of moving faster and faster. Now as I sit in the glow of the lights from the Christmas tree I am wondering where the time went.

Twice this time of year I have been what the Bible would call, "great with child."

I think of all the people who were affected by the birth of my children; my husband, my parents, my in-laws, my other children. I think of all the people who were there to make things more comfortable for me; the nurses, the doctor, the anesthesiologist. I think of the comforts of a soft bed and a warm blanket. I think of the first gentle swaddling and touch of my newborns tiny fingers.

And then I think of another birth. One that took place in the most humble of conditions. It was probably cold, wet, smelly. Mary was just a young woman, a teenager really. Who was there to help her through her labor and birth? Joseph was, I imagine. Was there anyone else? Anyone to wipe a damp forehead, to offer words of encouragement when it came time to push?

One of my favorite depictions of baby Jesus, doesn't even really show his face. It's Mary, standing in the light of the new star, holding her baby close to her chest and gazing up at the heavens.

This time of year it is easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of activity. The shopping, the parties, the toys, the exchanging of gifts. Really the best present given, the one that is more and more forgotten and overlooked, was the miracle of the birth and the faith of a young woman who found herself great with child.

1 comment:

Janet said...

This brought tears to my eyes. I admire your profound thoughtfulness and the way that you have put things into perspective so poignantly. I hope I spelled that right. Susan, I'm proud of you and I'm glad that you are my sister. I'm sorry that it took a childhood of taking you for granted to realize how wonderful you are. I love you. Janet